Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 16 - A picture of someone who inspires you

I'm going to have to use a default today:  Oprah.


Adjectives that describe Oprah:  generous, active, rich, successful, charismatic, queen of the world, etc.  She can do anything.

A common question is can success be bred?  Can greatness be raised?  I do believe a person's upbringing greatly influences a person's future.  There are exceptions, of course, where we see giants rise from humble backgrounds.  But for a regular person like me, I don't feel like I was born with the characteristics of a superperson.  An article, which I highly recommend, by Adam Bryant came out a month ago discussing the qualities that he noticed CEO's commonly shared.  The five qualities listed were:
  1. Passionate curiosity.
  2. Battle-hardened confidence.
  3. Team smarts.
  4. A simple mind-set.
  5. Fearlessness.
Now, this is not the end-all-be-all list of characteristics one needs to succeed in life.  As I go through the traits, though, I can understand how the people who thrive, at least in the business world, can fit them.  So, can someone like me, who is lacking in 3 or 4 of these areas, learn how to embrace these qualities and turn them into strengths?  Currently, I feel like I have too many worries holding me back.  I worry what others think of me and looking like a fool.  I don't like confrontation and want to avoid the consequences.  I am risk averse and would prefer job security over a huge leap of faith...

I'm sure if Oprah were here talking to me now, she would gracefully acknowledge my fears, hold my hands, and give me inspiring advice.  Damn.  She's good.  As I start this new phase of my life, my first goal is to push myself to continue to grow and be a little more fearless.

No comments:

Post a Comment