Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Resilience

Almost two weeks ago, Japan experienced a devastating 8.9 magnitude earthquake and tsunami.  Watching the videos of the black water sweeping away the buildings seem unreal, all in a matter of seconds.

I read an article in which a girl, who lived in one of the coastal towns, went into the city to buy something and then the earthquake hit.  Her mom called her and told her to run outside.  After the ground stopped shaking the girl called her mom back, but there was no answer.  And there hasn't been one since then.  I pray for this girl to have the strength to continue through this.  I pray for her mom that if she was swept away with the waters, that she is in Heaven now, watching over on her family.  I pray for all of the people affected by this, that they may persevere and have hope for the future.  A simple story has never touched my heart so deeply.

Aside from the miraculous stories of survival, the other stories about the nuclear crisis with the Japanese plants in Fukushima have made me admire the Japanese people even more.  When fears for a nuclear meltdown started escalating, most of the employees were evacuated, but a handful nuclear workers stayed behind, working in shifts of 50, to try to cool down the reactors (PBS article).  These people, who are everyday workers, are very heroic.  Even if there is no explosion, there will probably be life-long side effects from the radiation.  I am thankful for these people.  There are probably millions of other people who are thankful for them, too.

My generation has not had to experience many hardships throughout our lifetime.  My parents lived through the Vietnam War.  My neighbor, who passed away a few years ago, fought in the Korean War.  I don't ever wish for anyone to have to experience war, hunger, etc., even though I know it exists today all around the world.  When I think about what I would do in situations such as these, I feel a bit scared and uncertain.  It's amazing how instinctively brave and strong people can be.  My heart and prayers go out to the resilient people of Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment