Saturday, October 23, 2010

Past Tense

Why does the past seem to keep biting me in the butt when I'm ready to leave it behind? I saw him twice in the past month...once at a gala, and again tonight downtown. He acted very cold during the gala and didn't acknowledge my presence at all, which is understandable. I don't think he saw me tonight...in fact, i hope he didn't. It took me by surprise at first, but I just kept going. Grow stronger, M. You have much to be thankful for, and much to look forward to.

Side note: On the topic of seeing an ex again, I saw this interesting forum: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=559714. I'm sure many people can relate to the writer's emotions. I never realized how often or how cold it could be to have an ex ignore you or not make eye contact when they run into you. That then leads to the question of why do they act that way? What I realized after reading through different forums is that the answer that we would like to hear is they avoid us because they still have feelings for us. In truth, though, I believe it is because he is unsure of how he or I would react, especially if he introduced me to his new girlfriend. Would I make him feel guilty or show anger? Would he not be able to play it off as totally indifferent in front of her? It's just something he doesn't want to deal with, so he pretends to not see me. So although exes may not want us back in their lives as a boyfriend or girlfriend again, it is true that when your ex sees you again, their emotional reactions are intensified. Just another lesson in life that we wish we didn't have to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment